Search Bodleian Incunables:

If your search term consists of multiple words, you can choose how to search:



Bod-Inc: A-473

Astesanus de Ast

Summa de casibus conscientiae.



Imprint: Cologne: Heinrich Quentell, 31 Aug. 1479. Folio.


Collation: A12 b–f10 g h8 i10 k8 l–n10 o6 p8 q–x AA10 BB CC8 DD10 EE8 FF GG6 HH–KK10 LL8 MM10 NN8 OO–XX AAA‑KKK10 LLL MMM8.

Illustrations: Two woodcuts: see Schramm VIII 19 and Schreiber V 3387.


ISTC: ia01168000

GW: GW 2756;

Hain: HC *1895;

Goff: Goff A‑1168;

BMC: BMC I 261;

Proctor: Pr 1237;

Others: BSB‑Ink A‑800; Oates 713; Sack, Freiburg, 320; Schramm VIII 19; Schreiber V 3387; Sheppard 939-40; Voulliéme, Köln, 177-8.

LCN: 13979013, 13979059


Copy number: A-473(1)

Bound as endpapers with:
MS.: Oratiuncula ad consecrationem templi Ashbornehamiani in Diocesi Cicestren., 13 July 1667.

Leaves m7-10, n1-4,7 only.

Leaves folded in half to form endpapers: n3-4,7 front endpapers, m7-10 and n1-2 rear endpapers.

Binding: Eighteenth-century(?) half calf, with battered marbled pasteboards.

Size of bound volume: 267 × 193 × 10 mm; size of single leaves 265 × 185 mm.

‘Templi Ashborneami consecratis' on n4r, probably in the hand of Richard Rawlinson; the church is that of St Peter, Ashburnham, Sussex, which was rebuilt in the Gothic style in 1665. Modern note marks in pencil.

Two- to four-line initials and paragraph marks supplied in red or blue. Initial strokes in red.

Provenance: Richard Rawlinson (1690-1755); engraved book-plate inside the lower cover. Acquired from R. Rawlinson.

Former Bodleian shelfmark: MS. Rawl. Misc. 1079.

SHELFMARK: MS. Rawl. D. 819.

Copy number: A-473(2)

Bound in a volume of miscellaneous fragments.

Leaves A1, b1, p8, KK1, NN7,8 and XX9 only.

Binding: Bound in a modern guard-book of fragments.

Size of fragments: A1: 375 × 280 mm; b1 (cut in half): 323 × 120 mm and 310 × 115 mm; p8: 356 × 270 mm; KK1: 370 × 235 mm; NN7,8: 373 × 237 mm; XX9 (in two pieces): 145 × 120 mm and 145 × 210 mm.

On KK1v: ‘Winlaton Chapel in the Bishoprick of Durham. Lond. 1721'; for this chapel, which was constructed in 1706 and seems to have survived until 1816, see M. W. Flinn, Men of Iron: the Crowleys in the Early Iron Industry, Edinburgh University Publications, History, Philosophy and Economics, 14 (Edinburgh, 1962), 224-5. On XX9: ‘Rawlinson.’

On A1r a nine-line initial ‘C', and on b1r a nine-line initial ‘R', are both supplied in blue, with reserved white decoration, the interiors of the letters with red pen-work flowers and leaves in reserved white, with some colouring in yellow, all on a green ground. Red and blue pen-work foliate extensions into the margin, coloured with green and yellow. Two- and three-line initials and paragraph marks are supplied in red or blue. Initial strokes in red.

Provenance: Francis Douce (1757-1834); known from shelfmark. Bequeathed in 1834.

SHELFMARK: Douce Fragm. b.1(13-19).

Go to top of page