De civitate dei.
Analysis of Content
2a1r Augustinus: [Retractatio II,43.] ed. A. Mutzenbecher, CCSL 57 (1984), 124-5. See CPL 250.
2a1r Augustinus: De civitate dei. ed. B. Dombart and A. Kalb, CCSL 47-8 (1955). See CPL 313.
Imprint: Venice: Gabriele di Pietro, 1475. Folio.
Collation: a [*]8 a–ſ s–z A–D10.
Remarks: First four leaves of gathering [*] numbered 5-8.
GW: GW 2880;
Hain: HC *2052;
Goff: Goff A‑1236;
BMC: BMC V 201;
Proctor: Pr 4193;
Others: BSB‑Ink A‑857; CIBN A‑683; Fiumi 13; Oates 1681; Rhodes 194; Sheppard 3371.
Copy number: A-523(1)
Wanting the blank leaves a1 and [*]8.
Upper, lower, and outer margins of2 a1-6 cut away.
Binding: Early eighteenth-century English(?), mottled calf. Formerly chained: staple-marks of a hasp at the head inside the upper cover. On both covers double fillets form three concentric frames, the inner two of which are edged with a floral roll. The middle frame has a large fleuron pointing out from each corner, the inner frame has a small fleuron pointing inwards. Author and title written on fore-edge. The gold stamp of the Bodleian Library on both covers.
Size: 305 × 225 × 68 mm.
Size of leaf: 295 × 198 mm.
Two parchment front endleaves and one rear endleaf of court rolls of Laugharne, Carmarthen, one dated 19 Henry VI (1 Sept. 1440–31 Aug. 1441).
Marginal annotations, ‘nota' marks, and underlining in black ink. On two rear endleaves, an alchemical manuscript, entitled ‘Altificatio Remvile et vera dignatio . . . notabiliter per eum et graciose inventa Decembris 1486 . . .'; ‘ornamenta Iram elams anno 1535 festo Dyonisii'; two sets of verses, the first on the properties of wine: ‘Wyn of nature hath justice . . . | It comfortithe the hert in derthe the siyth': see C. F. Brown and R. H. Robbins, Index of Middle-English Verse (New York, 1943), no. 4175, the second a single stanza from the Fall of Princes: ‘Disceit disceyuyth and shal be disceyved | For who bi disceit is deceyvable': see Brown and Robbins, Index of Middle-English Verse, no. 674; the second verse has also been transcribed into more modern English by a seventeenth-century(?) hand.
Provenance: Heavily erased ownership inscription on a2r: ‘Andreas . . . armiger hunc possidet librum.' R. Smale (sixteenth century); inscription on a2r: ‘R. Smali et amicorum'. Henry Massey (b. 1698/9). Donated to the Bodleian in 1719 by Massey; inscription in lower margin of a2r: ‘Librum hunc Bibliothecae Bodleianae dono dedit vir primaevae antiquitatis studiosissimus Henricus Massey, A.M. e Coll. Reg. Oxon. iii° Kal. Nov. anno a partu Virginis MDCCXIX'.
Former Bodleian shelfmarks: Auct. P 1.10; C 10. 8 Th.; C 5. 10 Th.; for the last shelfmark: see Library Records, Bills to 1763, no. 93, which also names the benefactor.
SHELFMARK: Auct. 7Q 2.21.
Go to top of page