Dionysius de Burgo Sancti Sepulcri
Commentarii in Valerium Maximum.
Analysis of Content
[a2r] Dionysius de Burgo Sancti Sepulcri: Commentarii in Valerium Maximum. Dedicated to Johannes de Columna, Cardinal deacon of St Angelus. Incipit: ‘[R]everendo in Cristo patri et suo domino speciali . . . Vrbis Rome etc. Valerius huic operi suo primum prohemium ponit . . .’ See Zumkeller 234.
Imprint: [Strasbourg: The R‑Printer (Johann Mentelin and Adolf Rusch), before 7 Feb. 1474/5]. Folio.
Remarks: The Bodleian copy has an ownership inscription dated 7 Feb. 1474; Polain dates [not after 1 June 1480].
Collation: [a–d10 e f8 g h10 i8 k10 l m8 n10 o8 p q10 r8 s6 t–y10 z6 A8 B–D10 E–G8 H–L10 M6 N–Q10 R S8.]
GW: GW 8411;
Hain: HC *4103;
Goff: Goff D‑242;
BMC: BMC I 63;
Proctor: Pr 237;
Others: BSB‑Ink D‑173; Oates 97; Rhodes 688; Sheppard 224.
Copy number: D-091(1)
Line 2 on [a2r] ends with a hyphen, not a full stop; see GW Anm. 1. Sheet [B5.6] is in duplicate.
Binding: Green sheep over wooden boards; title and name of owner cut in the leather of the lower cover; the gold stamp of the Bodleian Library on both covers; two clasps lost. Formerly chained: staple-marks of a hasp at the head of the upper cover.
Size: 305 × 210 × 88 mm.
Size of leaf: 290 × 202 mm.
A few early marginal notes.
Provenance: John Gunthorpe (†1498), Dean of Wells; on [a2r] an inscription: ‘Liber m. J. gunthorp decani Wellen[sis] 7a febr. anno Christi 1474'; name cut in the leather of the lower cover. On [a2r] an inscription: ‘W. Hanley' in a fifteenth/sixteenth-century hand. Gilbert Hawthorn (1573- after 1618); on [a2r] an inscription: ‘Gilbertus Hauthorn'. Edmond Rowe (sixteenth century); on [a1r] an inscription: ‘Edmonde Rowe'. On [a1r] an inscription in a sixteenth century hand: ‘Joseph Hill'. Acquired by 1620; see James, Catalogus (1620), 504, shelfmark: B 5.14 Art; possibly the copy which was listed in James, Catalogus (1605), 403, shelfmarked: V 1.7 [Art].
Former Bodleian shelfmarks: B 5.15 Art; A 1.20 Art.
SHELFMARK: Auct. N 4.4.
Go to top of page