Search Bodleian Incunables:

If your search term consists of multiple words, you can choose how to search:



Bod-Inc: D-165

Duns Scotus, Johannes

Quodlibeta (ed. Philippus de Bagnacavallus).


Analysis of Content

AA1r [Title-page.]

AA2r Duns Scotus, Johannes: Quodlibeta. Edited by Philippus de Bagnacavallus, as stated in the colophon. See D‑161.

GG5v ‘Tabula questionum quolibetalium'.

GG5v [Colophon.]


Imprint: Venice: Bonetus Locatellus, for Octavianus Scotus, 3 Feb. 1497/8. Folio.

Remarks: Often found with Quaestiones in quatuor libros Sententiarum (Goff D‑383).


Collation: AA–FF8 GG6.


ISTC: id00397000

GW: GW 9072;

Hain: HCR 6437;

Goff: Goff D‑397;

BMC: BMC V 449;

Proctor: Pr 5075;

Others: BSB‑Ink D‑322; Oates 1992; Rhodes 721; Sack, Freiburg, 1298; Sheppard 4230.

LCN: 14888325


Copy number: D-165(1)

Bound with:
1. Johannes Duns Scotus, Quaestiones in quatuor libros Sententiarum. Venice: Bonetus Locatellus, for Octavianus Scotus, 18 Dec. 1497 (D‑170(1)).

Binding: Sixteenth-century (second half) Italian laced case hair sheep parchment binding; endband slips only, laced through cover; yapp edges; remains of two tawed ties and of two blue cloth index tabs; edges blue. Two manuscript titles, one across the head of the spine in a seventeenth/eighteenth-century hand, the other (probably the work of a bookseller), with the name of the author, running along the spine in a sixteenth-century hand.

Size: 325 × 226 × 45 mm.

Size of leaf: 322 × 215 mm.

Manuscript title on spine.

Provenance: Serrasanquirico, Monastero di Santa Lucia; inscription on a1r of item 1 in a sixteenth-century hand: ‘Monasterii Sancte Lucie Serra Sanquirici'. Serrasanquirico, Biblioteca Comunale; stamp on recto of front endleaf: ‘Biblioteca comunale Serra San Quirico'. Purchased on 9 Dec. 1914 from Percy Mordaunt Barnard for £25; see Library Bills (1914).

SHELFMARK: Inc. c. I4.1497.2(2).

Copy number: D-165(2)

Bound with:
1. Johannes Duns Scotus, Quaestiones in quatuor libros Sententiarum. Venice: Bonetus Locatellus, for Octavianus Scotus, 18 Dec. 1497 (D‑170(2)).

Binding: Contemporary English (Oxford? ‘Fishtail binder'(?), but see Oldham, Blind-stamped Bindings, 22) calf over wooden boards, with two metal clasps; rebacked. On both covers fillets form intersecting concentric frames; within the outer frame is a square stamp of interlocking birds and a lozenge-shaped decorative stamp (Oldham, Blind-stamped Bindings, pl. XVIII, no. 163); within the second frame is a floral roll. The inner rectangle is divided into lozenge-shaped and triangular compartments decorated with the two stamps. Reproduced in Geoffrey D. Hobson, Thirty Bindings (London, 1926), pl. I. F‑052(3). Marsilius Ficinus (GW 9885; Broxb. 29.16) was bound by the same binder. Title along the fore-edge.

Size: 334 × 225 × 50 mm.

Size of leaf: 322 × 215 mm.

Late thirteenth-century manuscript pastedowns containing fragments of lines 1354-1513 of Aymeri de Narbonne; see Fanni Bogdanow, ‘Un nouveau fragment d’Aymeri de Narbonne’, Romania, 84 (1963), 380-9; another fragment extracted from the binding was presented to the British Museum on 4 Apr. 1925, and is British Library, MS. Add. 41295 (G); see letter to Albert Ehrman from Victor Scholderer, dated 2 Apr. 1925, with accompanying observations from the Department of Manuscripts, BM, and Ehrman's annotations.

Title on fore-edge in a sixteenth-century hand.

Provenance: John Stokes († by July 1503). Windsor, St George's Chapel; presented by Stokes; an inscription on aa1r: ‘Liber collegii sancti Georgii infra castrum de Windesor ex dono magistri Stoks'; letter, attached to recto of front endleaf, regarding provenance from Canon Dalton to A. Ehrman, dated 10 July 1924; see M. R. James, ‘The Manuscripts of St George's Chapel, Windsor', Library, NS 13 (1932), 55-76, with this item noted at p. 62, and Ker, Medieval Libraries, 203, 216. Albert Ehrman (1890-1969); armorial book-plate; purchased in 1924 for £7. 7. 0; accession no. ‘779/80'. Presented in 1978 by John Ehrman.

SHELFMARK: Broxb. 34.5(2).

Go to top of page