Gregorius I, Pont. Max.
Commentum super Cantica Canticorum.
Analysis of Content
a1v Gregorius I, Pont. Max.: ‘Prologus.’ See G‑206.
a2r Gregorius I, Pont. Max.: Commentum super Cantica Canticorum [Ct 1,1-1,8]. See G‑206.
a4v Gregorius I, Pont. Max. [pseudo-; Robertus de Tumbalena]: Commentum super Cantica Canticorum [Ct 2,1-8,14]. See G‑206.
Imprint: Paris: Ulrich Gering and Berthold Rembolt, 16 Jan. 1498/9. 4°.
Collation: a–c8 d6.
GW: GW 11416;
Hain: HC 7939;
Goff: Goff G‑396;
BMC: BMC VIII 31;
Proctor: Pr 8309;
Others: Hillard 911; Oates 3124-5; Sack, Freiburg, 1611; Sheppard 6163-4.
Copy number: G-208(1)
Binding: Eighteenth-century(?) quarter calf, with pasteboards covered with marbled paper; the gold stamp of the Bodleian Library on both covers.
Size: 196 × 131 × 8 mm.
Size of leaf: 192 × 125 mm.
On a1v a five-line initial ‘Q' and on a2r a seven-line initial ‘O' are both supplied in interlocked red and blue; other initials in red or blue; paragraph marks are supplied in red; capital strokes touched with yellow wash. Text enclosed within single red rules.
Provenance: Partly erased inscription on a1r beginning: ‘Celestinorum . . .'; heavily erased inscription on d6v beginning: ‘Cel . . .’ Purchased from Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, Catalogue (1830), no. 1342, for £0. 6. 0; see Books Purchased (1830), 10.
Former Bodleian shelfmark: Auct. P 5.15.
SHELFMARK: Auct. 7Q 4.7.
Copy number: G-208(2)
1. Gregorius I, Pont. Max., Homiliae quadraginta. Paris: Ulrich Gering and Berthold Rembolt, 4 May 1508;
3. Gregorius I, Pont. Max., In septem Psalmos poenitentiales explanatio. Paris: Ulrich Gering and Berthold Rembolt, 16 Jan. 1508;
4. Gregorius I, Pont. Max., Pastorale, sive Regula pastoralis. Paris: Ulrich Gering and Berthold Rembolt, 18 July 1498 (G‑230(2));
5. Gregorius I, Pont. Max., Homiliae super Ezechielem. Paris: Ulrich Gering and Berthold Rembolt, 8 Apr. 1502;
6. Gregorius I, Pont. Max., Dialogus. Paris: Ulrich Gering and Berthold Rembolt, 23 Mar. 1508.
Binding: Nineteenth-century English (probably Oxford) blind-tooled calf; rebacked.
Size: 198 × 139 × 70 mm.
Size of leaf: 190 × 130 mm.
Provenance: John Hobson († by Mar. 1527)(?); inscription on a2r of item 1: ‘Iste liber constat Johanni Hobson quondam socio colegii Universitatis Oxonie procuratori. Precium iiii.s'; it is not clear whether all six items were travelling together before they were bound in their present binding and therefore whether all were owned or used by Hobson. Oxford, University College; book-plate; shelfmark ‘KK.43.19'; see untitled list. Deposited in 1941 by the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford.
SHELFMARK: Univ. Coll. e.15(2).
Go to top of page