Hugo de Sancto Caro
Postilla super psalterium.
Analysis of Content
[AA3r] [Table of contents.]
a1r [Hugo de Sancto Caro]: Postilla super psalterium. ‘Proemium.’ Incipit: ‘ “[E]gredimini filie Syon et videte regem Salomonem . . .” [Ct 3,11.] Verbum est Salomonis filii Dauid . . .’
a2r [Hugo de Sancto Caro]: Postilla super psalterium. Incipit: ‘ “[B]eatus vir qui non abiit . . .” [Ps 1.] Psalmus iste titulum non habet . . .’ See Kaeppeli II no. 1989; Stegmüller, Repertorium biblicum, III 3675. Attributed in some copies to Alexander de Hales, as described in Polain 2027 note; Koberger's edition, 31 Jan. 1498, ascribes it to Hugo de S. Caro, but the authorship remains uncertain.
Imprint: Venice: Johannes and Gregorius de Gregoriis, de Forlivio, for Stephanus and Bernardinus de Nallis, 12 Nov. 1496. Folio.
Collation: [AA] BB CC6 a–z [et] [con] [rum] A–X8 Y6 Z8.
Illustrations: Woodcut initials.
Hain: H *8972;
Goff: Goff H‑530;
BMC: BMC V 349;
Proctor: Pr 4554;
Others: BSB‑Ink H‑431; CIBN H‑312; Oates 1816; Sack, Freiburg, 1908; Sheppard 3908-9.
LCN: 14533091, 14533142
Copy number: H-241(1)
Binding: Nineteenth-century blind-tooled calf; bound for the Bodleian Library; blue-edged leaves. ‘4' on the head of the fore-edge. Strips from an early printed book visible in the binding; the gold stamp of the Library on both covers.
Size: 310 × 200 × 55 mm.
Size of leaf: 301 × 192 mm.
‘Alex: de Ales super salm[ ] [ ]14' in a seventeenth/eighteenth-century hand on [AA1r].
Provenance: Acquired by 1674; see Hyde, Catalogus, I 18 (s. v. Ales): shelfmark E 1. 4 Th.
SHELFMARK: Auct. 1Q 2.5.
Copy number: H-241(2)
Wanting the first two leaves, both blank. By error, instead of the inner forme of the first sheet of gathering [rum], the outer forme was printed a second time, [rum]1v being occupied by the text of [rum]8v, [rum]8r by that of [rum]1r.
Binding: Nineteenth-century(?) calf, with sprinkled red-edged leaves. ‘643' on square label at the tail of the spine.
Size: 309 × 198 × 72 mm.
Size of leaf: 209 × 200 mm.
Provenance: Kaisheim, Bavaria, Cistercian abbey; two inscriptions on [AA3r]: ‘B: V: Mariæ in Keisersheim' and ‘FF de Cæsarea', later hand; ‘N. 169' on the front endleaf, probably by the later hand. Duplicate from the Royal Library, Munich; ‘Duplum' on front endleaf. Acquired between 1847 and c.1892; not in Catalogus (1843) with Appendix.
SHELFMARK: Auct. 5Q 4.29.
Go to top of page