Consolatorium timoratae conscientiae.
Analysis of Content
a2r Nider, Johannes: Consolatorium timoratae conscientiae. ‘Prologus'.’ Incipit: ‘[A]pud disciplinas reperimus philosophicas diuersis morbis corporum . . .’
a4r Nider, Johannes: Consolatorium timoratae conscientiae. ‘Capitulum primum'.’ Incipit: ‘[P]rimo igitur aduertendum quod conscientia vno modo sumitur . . .’ Explicit: inuoluntarium. Hec ille’ See N‑068.
Imprint: Paris: Ulrich Gering, 16 Dec. 1478. 4°.
Collation: a–q8 r4.
Hain: HC 11809;
Goff: Goff N‑166;
BMC: BMC VIII 23;
Proctor: Pr 7859;
Others: CIBN N‑93; Hillard 1448; Oates 2881; Rhodes 1243; Sheppard 6132.
Copy number: N-070(1)
For this copy see Coates–Jensen 245-6, no. 4.
2. Petrus de Osoma, Commentaria in symbolum Quicunque vult. Paris: Ulrich Gering,  (P‑206(2)).
Wanting the blank leaves a1 and r4.
The volume once also contained Rufinus Tyrannius, Expositio in symbolum apostolorum. Oxford: [Printer of Expositio S. Hieronymi], 17 Dec. 1468 [i.e. 1478]; a note pasted onto the former front pastedown says: ‘The tract removed from the end of this volume was the very rare “expositio” of St Jerome, printed at Oxford, with the date of 1468. It was quite perfect'. The present location of this item is unknown; Duke Humfrey's Library, no. 111 states that it is now kept in the Bodleian Library at Arch. G e.8. This is not correct: the copy kept there was presented to the Bodleian Library by Bishop Thomas Barlow in 1693.
Binding: Contemporary English (Oxford, the 'Diving Dolphin Binder' [Pollard]) blind-tooled calf over wooden boards; two clasps lost, and one catch, but with remains of one metal catch on the lower board; early manuscript title along the fore-edge; see Gibson, Oxford Bindings, no. 8, with tools 19, 20 [diving dolphin = Rogers 'g', below], 21 [square bird = Rogers 'c'], also pl. vi; Duke Humfrey's Library, no. 111. The binding is referred to in David Rogers, 'An Unpublished Early Oxford Binding', The Book Collector, 24 (1975), 65-9, at p. 67, with two of the stamps illustrated on p. 68; it is also listed by Graham Pollard in his notes on Oxford bindings, Bodleian Library, MS. Pollard 326, fols 23 and 31.
Size: 210 × 150 × 45 mm.
Size of leaf: 204 × 137 mm.
Parchment endleaves from a fourteenth-century copy of the Decretals of Gregory IX.
On a2r ‘M. Cass.' in black ink in a sixteenth/seventeenth-century hand. Occasional marginal notes, mainly extracting key words, structuring the text, and pointing hands, in W. Dersham's hand.
Some initials are supplied in red.
Provenance: William Dersham (fl. 1496-1503); inscription on a2r: ‘Ex Emptione domini W Dersham monachi sancti Edmundi', and on r3v: ‘Bury'; see Ker, Medieval Libraries, 21, 233; Antonia Gransden, ‘Some Manuscripts in Cambridge from Bury St Edmunds Abbey: Exhibition Catalogue', in Bury St Edmunds: Medieval Art, Architecture, Archaeology and Economy, ed. Antonia Gransden, British Archaeological Association Conference Transactions, 20 ([n. p.], 1998), 228-85, at 243, 279 note 143. William Maskell (1814?–1900). Presented by W. Maskell in 1886; two letters from Maskell pasted in at the back of the book, one to Francis Madden dated 15 Feb. 1886, and one dated 9 Oct. 1886, probably to E. W. B. Nicholson, Bodley's Librarian.
SHELFMARK: Auct. 7Q 7.24(1).
Go to top of page