Analysis of Content
[a1r] Nider, Johannes: Manuale confessorum. Incipit: ‘[Q]uoniam iuxta beati Gregory in suo Pastorali sentenciam regimen animarum est ars arcium . . .’ Explicit: in sentencia et scripto. Et tantum de confessorum . . .sufficit See N‑078.
Imprint: [Strasbourg: C. W., not after 1471.] Folio.
Remarks: Previously assigned to [Nuremberg: Anton Koberger, c.1475]. Assigned to [C. W.], sometimes identified tentatively as Clas Wencker or Conrad Wolfach, by Needham, ‘Strasbourg', 130-43; see BMC II 409.
Collation: [a–e10 f8].
Hain: H *11834;
Goff: Goff N‑178;
BMC: BMC II 411;
Proctor: Pr 1961;
Others: BSB‑Ink N‑155; CIBN N‑107; Hillard 1453; Oates 978; Sack, Freiburg, 2580; Sheppard 1420.
Copy number: N-079(1)
2. Johannes Nider, De morali lepra. [Strasbourg: C. W., not after 1471] (N‑086).
Binding: Contemporary German blind-tooled leather over wooden boards, with two metal clasps and catches. Title printed in gold on a square green label at the head of the spine. ‘A'o 1470' painted in white at the tail of the spine. On the upper cover intersecting triple fillets form a frame. Within the outer frame lozenge-shaped fleur-de-lis, rosette, and five-petalled flower stamps. Within the following frame the rosette and five-petalled flower stamp and a second rosette stamp. Diagonal triple fillets divide the inner rectangle into lozenge-shaped and triangular compartments, decorated with a lozenge-shaped eagle stamp, various floral and foliate stamps, and an acorn stamp. On the lower cover triple fillets form the inner rectangle which is divided by diagonal triple fillets into lozenge-shaped and triangular compartments, decorated with the fleur-de-lis, rosette, floral and foliate, and acorn stamps.
Size: 276 × 203 × 42 mm.
Size of leaf: 273 × 198 mm.
Bibliographical notes, in Italian and in French, on front endleaf.
A six-line initial ‘Q' supplied in red with brown pen-work decoration, and capital strokes in red on [a1r] only.
Provenance: Robert Finch (1783-1830); Finch catalogue 204. Taylor Institution, University of Oxford; bequeathed to the University by Finch; book-plate with shelfmark in blue ink: ‘V 199'. Transferred to the Bodleian Library in 1921.
SHELFMARK: Inc. d. G6.2(1).
Go to top of page