Contra Celsum et in fidei Christianae defensionem libri.
Analysis of Content
[a1v] Theodorus Gaza: [Letter addressed to] Christophorus Persona. Incipit: ‘[C]um diebus hisce superioribus animo, ut soleo saepe, Latinos viros versarem . . .’
[a2r] Persona, Christophorus: [Letter addressed to] Johannes Mocenicus. Incipit: ‘[E]tsi plerique omnes preclara facinora aggredi iccirco uidemur . . .’ There is a variant issue which contains a letter of dedication from the Prior of S. Balbina to Sixtus IV, Pont. Max., with incipit, ‘[A]nimaduerti saepe, beatissime pater, priscos illos . . .', in place of that of Persona.
[a3r] Origenes: Contra Celsum et in fidei Christianae defensionem libri. Translated by Christophorus Persona. Incipit: ‘[H]ortaris sacer Ambrosi ut Celsi, etsi gentilis et philosophi hominis obiectiones . . .[C]elsus itaque christianorum religionem calumniaturus . . .’ Explicit: testimonio comprobemus’ See CPG 1476; H. Crouzel, Bibliographie critique d'Origène, Instrumenta patristica, 8 (Steenbrugge, 1971), 78-9. On the translation see Livia Martinoli Santini, ‘Le traduzioni dal greco', in Un pontificato ed una città, 81-101, note 44, and J. Bignami Odier, La Bibliothèque Vaticane de Sixte IV à Pie IX: Recherches sur l'histoire des collections de manuscrits, Studi e testi, 272 (Vatican, 1973), 25 and 37.
Imprint: Rome: Georgius Herolt, Jan. 1481. Folio and 4°.
Collation: [a10 b–o8 p–s10 t–z A–H8 I6].
Hain: HC (+ Addenda) *12078;
Goff: Goff O‑95;
BMC: BMC IV 126;
Proctor: Pr 3921;
Others: BSB‑Ink O‑80; CIBN O‑57; Hillard 1495; Oates 1572; Sheppard 3118-20.
LCN: 14540052, 14540129
Copy number: O-025(1)
Gathering [D] is bound between [A] and [B].
Leaf [A5v], l. 1: ‘ . . . affirmāus'. There are two variant issues of this edition with differing letters of dedication; this copy contains the dedication to Johannes Mocenicus.
Binding: Contemporary German blind-tooled pigskin over wooden boards, with manuscript title on a rectangular paper label at the head of the upper cover. Two clasps and catches lost. On the upper cover, triple fillets form a frame, within which is a repeated lozenge-shaped fleur-de-lis stamp. Double fillets form a double frame. Within the outer one is a square four-petalled flower stamp. Diagonal double fillets divide the inner rectangle into four triangular compartments, decorated with a circular rosette stamp, a small square four-petalled flower stamp, and a foliate stamp. A floral stamp at the intersection of the fillets. On the lower cover, triple fillets form a frame, surrounding which the fleur-de-lis and the foliate stamps. Within the frame the square four-petalled flower stamp, a triangular stag, a lozenge-shaped eagle, and a circular wheel of fire stamp. Double fillets form the inner rectangle, divided into four triangular compartments by diagonal double fillets; each compartment is decorated with a lozenge-shaped pot of flowers stamp and the floral stamp found at the intersection. The spine is decorated with the flower-pot stamp and a four-petalled flower stamp.
Size: 280 × 220 × 70 mm.
Size of leaf: 271 × 207 mm.
Front and rear endleaves consist of two manuscript parchment leaves from a fifteenth-century German Missal (proprium de tempore).
Manuscript signatures in an early hand.
Provenance: Purchased from Munich via Thomas Rodd for Fl. 7, i.e. £0. 14. 0; see Books Purchased (1837), 28.
SHELFMARK: Auct. 7Q 3.23.
Copy number: O-025(2)
Leaf [A5v], l. 1: ‘ . . . affimamus'. There are two variant issues of this edition with differing letters of dedication; this copy contains the dedication to Johannes Mocenicus.
Binding: Modern half green morocco, stamped with the initials I. B.
Size: 282 × 210 × 40 mm.
Size of leaf: 272 × 190 mm.
Provenance: Hieronymus Sorianus (sixteenth century); inscription on [a1r]: ‘Mri Ieronimi Soryani phisicj(?)'. Ingram Bywater (1840-1914); Elenchus, no. 2369. Bequeathed in 1914.
SHELFMARK: Byw. H 1.14.
Copy number: O-025(3)
Not in Sheppard. Leaf [A5v], l. 1: ‘ . . . affimamus'. There are two variant issues of this edition with differing letters of dedication; this copy contains the dedication of S. Balbinus to Sixtus IV.
Binding: Eighteenth-century parchment, with title gold-tooled on a rectangular red leather label at the head of the spine. Red-edged leaves.
Size: 267 × 210 × 50 mm.
Size of leaf: 264 × 202 mm.
Early manuscript title in brown ink on [a1r].
Provenance: Ingram Bywater (1840-1914); Elenchus, no. 2368. Bequeathed in 1914.
SHELFMARK: Byw. H 1.13.
Copy number: O-025(4)
Wanting [I6] containing the register. Leaf [a1] cut out and mounted.
Leaf [A5v], l. 1: ‘ . . . affirmāus'. There are two variant issues of this edition with differing letters of dedication; this copy contains the dedication to Sixtus IV.
Binding: Eighteenth-century gold-tooled red morocco, with gilt-edged leaves, blue pastedowns, and azure silk bookmark.
Size: 293 × 224 × 45 mm.
Size of leaf: 284 × 206 mm.
Initials are supplied in red, with red or black pen-work decoration; some incomplete. Capitals touched with yellow wash. Text within single manuscript red rules. On [a3r] an initial is supplied in gold and colours contains a shield, with an unidentified coat of arms: paly of six, or and gules; above, a crosier.
Provenance: Justin, Comte MacCarthy Reagh (1744-1811); ‘Leigh's sale from France': sale (London: Leigh and Sotheby, 18 May 1789), lot 1216; ‘4. 10. 0.' on upper left-hand corner of verso of front endleaf. Augustus Henry Fitzroy (1735-1811), 3rd Duke of Grafton; inscription on brown ink in the upper left-hand corner of [a1v]: ‘D. of Grafton 1789'. Edmund McClure (†1922); book-plate. Francis Edward Norris (1885-1966); presented by him in 1952; see BLR 4, 3 (1952), 174.
Former Bodleian shelfmark: Inc. d. I2.2.
SHELFMARK: Inc. d. I2.1481.1.
Go to top of page