Breviarium totius iuris canonici, sive Decretorum breviarium.
Analysis of Content
[a1r] [Woodcut: portrait of the author.]
[a1v] ‘Tabula optima super Breuiario Decretorum.’
[b1v] Paulus Florentinus: [Dedicatory letter addressed to] Innocentius [dei Flavi della Rovere] Romanus, preceptor general of the order of the Holy Spirit, Rome. Incipit: ‘[T]am magna, tanque iocunda erga me pater optime Innocenti . . .’ J. A. Saxius, Historia literario-typographica Mediolanensis (Milan, 1745), 479-80; see G. M. Besutti, ‘Repertori e sussidi generali. Edizioni del secolo XV (1476-1500)', in Bibliografia dell'Ordine dei Servi, Bibliotheca Servorum Romandiolae, 4 (Bologna, 1971), 69-212, at 84 no. 3.
[b2r] Paulus Florentinus: Breviarium totius iuris canonici. [Part I] Decretorum breviarium. Dedicated to Innocentius Romanus. Incipit: ‘[H]umanum genus duobus regitur naturali videlicet iure et moribus . . .’
[p1r] ‘Tabula Breuiarii Decretalium.’
[p3r] Paulus Florentinus: Breviarium totius iuris canonici. [Part II] Decretalium breviarium. Incipit: ‘[R]ex pacificus pia miseratione disposuit . . .’
Imprint: Memmingen: Albrecht Kunne, 1486. Folio.
Collation: [a4 b10 c–o8 p10 q8 r6].
Remarks: Collation according to early manuscript signatures, not as BMC.
Hain: H *7161;
Goff: Goff P‑180;
BMC: BMC II 604;
Proctor: Pr 2780;
Others: BSB‑Ink A‑811; CIBN P‑58; Sack, Freiburg, 2683; Schramm XVI p. 18; Schreiber V 4901; Sheppard 2009-10.
Copy number: P-052(1)
Binding: Contemporary German (Tirol, Austria, c.1477-89) blind-tooled pigskin over wooden boards bevelled inwards, with two metal clasps and catches. Title on rectangular paper label at head of the spine. Quadruple fillets form an intersecting double frame. Within the outer frame a circular lamb and flag stamp at each corner; a lozenge-shaped owl stamp (EBDB internal Kyriß no. Nb9bs.05), a lozenge-shaped floral stamp (EBDB internal Kyriß no. Nb9bs.06), and a triangular acorn stamp. Diagonal quadruple fillets divide the inner rectangle into four triangles, each decorated with the lamb and flag and the acorn stamps.
Size: 285 × 205 × 45 mm.
Size of leaf: 279 × 197 mm.
On [r5v] two early manuscript additions relating to Franciscan regulations. Early manuscript signatures.
Initials are supplied in red or blue; paragraph marks and capital strokes in red. With rubrication date on [r5v]: ‘in die anne 188.8.131.52.’
Provenance: Würzburg, Bavaria, Conventual Franciscans, Inventio crucis/Sancta crux inscription on [a2r]: ‘Ad Bibliothecam Fratrum Minorum Conuentualium S. Francisci Herbipoli'. Francis Douce (1757-1834); armorial book-plate. Bequeathed in 1834.
SHELFMARK: Douce 200.
Copy number: P-052(2)
Wanting gathering [a].
Binding: Nineteenth-century blind-tooled calf; bound for the Bodleian Library; the gold stamp of the Library on both covers. Sprinkled red-edged leaves. Scars of paper index tabs.
Size: 282 × 204 × 25 mm.
Size of leaf: 273 × 176 mm.
Contemporary manuscript signatures in brown ink. Bibliographical note in French on [a1r], probably by Le Candele.
On [a2r] a ten-line initial ‘H' is supplied in blue with red pen-work decoration. Other initials are supplied in red, occasionally with reserved white decoration.
Provenance: Charles-Pierre-Joseph Le Candele (1761-1830); armorial book-plate: see Linnig 64-5. Purchased for £0. 15. 0; see Books Purchased (1840), 24.
SHELFMARK: Auct. 3Q 5.8.
Copy number: P-052(3)
Binding: Contemporary German quarter blind-tooled pigskin over wooden boards; one catch and clasp lost. Early manuscript title on a rectangular paper label at head of upper cover. On both covers quadruple fillets form a rectangle divided by diagonal quadruple fillets into four triangular compartments, decorated with palmette and rosette stamps. On the lower cover, rosette stamps only. A manuscript fragment, on parchment, from a document in Latin, written in a German hand, dated 1436(?) is pasted on the front pastedown. Another manuscript fragment, on parchment, from a book containing lists of German names, in a fifteenth-century German hand, is pasted on the rear pastedown. A cutting from a sale catalogue, no. 126, describing this copy, is inserted.
Size: 274 × 200 × 40 mm.
Size of leaf: 264 × 193 mm.
A few marginal notes, mainly extracting key words, in a sixteenth/seventeenth-century hand.
Provenance: Alexius Kreif[t?]mann (fl. 1551); inscription on rear endleaf in a humanist hand: ‘Alexius Kreif[t?]mann est possessor huius libri. Anno domini 1551'. Johannes Weschbach (sixteenth century); hand-painted coat of arms on the front endleaf, azure three roses gules on a fess argent. Buxheim, Bavaria, Carthusians, BVM; inscription on the front endleaf: ‘Liber patrum carthusianorum in Buxia prope Memmingen proveniens a doctore eximio domino Domino Johanne Wessbach, ciue Ulmensi, continens tocius iuris canonici breuiarium. Oretur pro eo et pro quibus desiderauit'; underneath the shield a note in the same hand: ‘Sursum ad libr. hilt' [translated in the cutting from the sale catalogue as ‘upstairs with the books of Hildbrand Brandenburg']; not in Honemann, ‘Buxheim Collection'. Graf von Ostein, 1803. Sold in 1883 by Graf Hugo von Waldbott-Bassenheim (1820-1895); Buxheim sale, lot 3142. Ernst Philip Goldschmidt (1887-1954); ex-libris. Albert Ehrman (1890-1969); purchased in 1925 for £22. 10. 0.; accession no. ‘913'. Presented in 1978 by John Ehrman.
SHELFMARK: Broxb. 110.15.
Go to top of page